Words of Wisdom: What Tyler Perry, Richard Branson and Warren Buffett Said
By Sue Voyles / May 22, 2018 / leadership
Watching Tyler Perry come into the main ballroom was like watching a rock star make an entrance for many of the audience members at the Goldman Sachs 10,000 Small Businesses Summit.
Here’s what Tyler Perry of Tyler Perry Studios shared with us:
- Stay focused. Keep pushing.
- It is very important to have a good team.
- My style is to treat everyone like you want to be treated.
- Stay focused as you can to get to the ultimate goal.
- Trust God and do good.
From Sir Richard Branson (who needs no introduction):
- I learned the art of being an entrepreneur.
- The most important thing in business is protecting the downside. People only excel if you give them the tools to do a great job. I think a good leader has to be a good listener.
- My mind is open all the time. It’s lovely to be at the birth of a new technology. If every single person in this room can adopt a problem… I think… they will feel that much better for it.
- The phrase ‘our business is a family’… should really be the way it is.
- It’s the little details that matter.
- The entrepreneurs I admire are the ones who keep picking themselves up. As a leader you’ve always got to be looking for the best and your people.
- By the way one of his sayings is: Screw it let’s do it.
Warren Buffett (on starting a business):
- You don’t necessarily get it right the first time. Henry Ford as you know failed twice before he started the Ford Motor Company.
- You need a genuine desire day in and day out to be like the customer.
- You soon forget about price, but you never forget about the experience (as a customer).
- Surround yourself with people who are better than you are.
- I admire people who have done what you have done.
I encourage you to take these nuggets and run with them.